Full-Time MLW Technician | High-Paying | White Plains, NY
Department: Lab Med Labs/Westchester
Job Schedule: Full Time
Hours: Tue-Sat 5 AM -1 PM and holidays
Salary Range: $40,836.90-$61,255.16
Title: MLW Technician
Department/Location: Department of Laboratories/MLW
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Reports to: Administrative Manager Laboratory Outreach Services
- The MLW Technician II obtains blood specimens from patients for laboratory analysis, observing protocols and methods established by The Department of Laboratories.
- The MLW Technician II unpacks, registers and receives specimens, preparing them for processing, while locating and correcting any discrepancies, and ensuring that specimens are preserved properly before forwarding them to the appropriate laboratory section.
- Performs customer service-related duties as assigned.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities Include the Following:
- Adheres to WPH Performance Standards, Policies, and Behaviors.
- Proficient in obtaining blood specimens using various techniques for all age groups.
- Removes specimens from transport bags, verifies identifiers, and follows up on discrepancies.
- Enters ordered tests into HIS for ancillary laboratory departments, prioritizing timely processing.
- Labels and disseminates specimens to the correct laboratory department.
- Demonstrates knowledge of client-specific registration and accessioning procedures.
- Responds to incoming outreach calls promptly and accurately.
- Fax laboratory results to physician offices as requested.
- Documents outreach issues in HIS for follow-up and resolution.
- Reviews "Specimen Master Log" for accessioning process accuracy.
- Compiles supplies for outreach clients and documents quantities in the HIS before delivery.
- Completes ICD-10 diagnosis coding for MLW outreach accounts and scans requisitions into the HIS.
- Manages STAT specimen pick-up and dispatches courier service from physician offices.
- Sorts, compiles, and delivers laboratory reports to local physician office practices.
- Demonstrates knowledge of department and hospital policies and procedures.
- Meets job-specific competency requirements.
- Maintains a clean, organized work area, following safety protocols and universal precautions.
- Ensures neat and orderly supply management.
- Responds to all client inquiries promptly.
- Performs other assigned duties
Education & Experience Requirements:
- High School graduate or GED equivalent required
- Phlebotomy Certification preferred
- One year previous phlebotomy experience preferred
- Valid NYS driver’s license and proof of auto insurance required
- Ability to type 35 words per minute
- Previous experience in a healthcare environment preferred
- Medical terminology preferred
- Ability to use basic office equipment, basic computer skills, and knowledge of CTR computer terminals a plus
- Integrity to handle the confidential aspects of work
- Adaptability-ability to cooperate with others
- Stress Tolerance-retains composure under stress
- Must be able to communicate, converse and write in the English language
- Ability to effectively communicate with internal and external customers
- Attention to Detail
- Team Work