MLW Technician | Part-Time | White Plains, NY
Department: Lab Med Labs/Westchester
Job Schedule: Part-Time
Hours: Mon-Fri (10 AM-3 PM) W/ Rotating Holidays
Salary Range: $36,814.05 - $55,210.35
Title: MLW Technician
Department/Location: Department of Laboratories/MLW
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Reports to: Administrative Manager Laboratory Outreach Services
- The MLW Technician unpacks, registers and receives specimens, preparing them for processioning, while locating and correcting any discrepancies, and ensuring that specimens are preserved properly before forwarding them to the appropriate laboratory section.
- Performs customer service-related duties as assigned.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities Include the Following:
- Adheres to WPH Performance Standards, Policies, and Behaviors.
- Verifies and removes specimens from transport bags, ensuring accurate identifiers on all requisitions.
- Enters ordered tests into HIS for proper testing orders and prioritizes workload for timely processing.
- Labels and disseminates specimens to the appropriate laboratory departments.
- Demonstrates proficiency in client-specific registration and accessioning procedures.
- Handles incoming outreach calls, providing accurate and efficient resolutions.
- Sends laboratory results to physician offices via fax upon request.
- Documents outreach issues in the HIS for follow-up and resolution.
- Manages STAT specimen pick-up at physician offices and dispatches courier service.
- Sorts, compiles, and delivers laboratory reports to local physician offices.
- Demonstrates extensive knowledge of department and hospital policies and procedures.
- Completes job-specific competency requirements.
- Maintains a clean and organized work area, adhering to safety protocols and universal precautions.
- Provides timely responses to all client inquiries.
- Performs any other related duties as assigned.
Education & Experience Requirements:
- High School graduate or GED equivalent required
- Ability to type 35 words per minute
- Previous experience in a healthcare environment preferred
- Medical terminology preferred
- Ability to use basic office equipment, basic computer skills, and knowledge of CTR computer terminals a plus
- Integrity to handle the confidential aspects of work Adaptability-ability to cooperate with others
- Stress Tolerance-retains composure under stress
- Must be able to communicate, converse and write in the English language
- Ability to effectively communicate with internal and external customers
- Attention to Detail Organized Flexibility
- Team Work