URGENT LPN/LVN Need at Great Brooklyn Hospital
· The Licensed Practical Nurse performs
responsibilities that are supportive and restorative under the direction of a
Registered Professional Nurse.
· Provides nursing care to an assigned group of
patients, and administers medications and treatments upon demonstration of
ability in accordance with policy of the Hospital/Ambulatory Care.
· Aware of the population specific patient
management for the area which they work. Demonstrates the ability to function
as part of an interdisciplinary health care team.
· Responsibilities Provides direct patient care
(in accordance with Nurse Practice Act and Brookdale University Hospital and
Medical Center Policies and Procedures).
· Performs tasks and responsibilities as assigned
by the Registered Nurse as related to:
· Medical treatments and selected nursing
· Nutritional needs
· Ambulation and exercise
· The maintenance of patient safety
· Administers medications to assigned patients.
· Utilizes appropriate technique in performing
venipuncture to obtain blood specimens in accordance with agency procedure.
· Verbalizes knowledge of and adheres to OSHA
standards for blood-borne pathogens when handling blood and body fluids.
Performs diagnostic testing
· EKG, point of care testing.
· Performs all skills on skills competency
inventory as indicated by patient assignment/needs or as directed, under the
supervision of the Registered Professional Nurse.
· Performs CPR as needed or directed in
accordance with Hospital policy.
· Prepares and assists patients for diagnostic
tests and medical regimens or examinations.
· Participates in the check in process of
patients according to ambulatory care’s policies and procedures.
· Performs and documents assigned tasks such as
height, weight, T.P.R., blood pressure, etc.
· Explains procedures.
· Reports observations and vital signs to
Registered Nurse, as needed.
· Assumes role of patient advocate and conforms
to policies and regulations governing patient rights, confidentiality and the
HIPAA Privacy & Security Rules.
· Able to verbalize an understanding of the
components of the Chronic Care Model and apply these in the planning and
delivery of care.
· Assists medical staff with treatment and diagnostic
procedures (e.g., fixes slides for pap smears, hands instruments to
· Under the direction of a RN or physician,
changes dressings that require sterile technique; maintains principles of
· Demonstrates compliance to infection control protocols
and maintains a safe, clean and therapeutic work environment.
· Assists Registered Nurse in identifying patient
knowledge deficits and providing education to patients and families.
· Establishes positive relationships with
patients and families in accordance with Patients' Bill of Rights.
· Keeps patient information confidential and
respects patient's right to privacy.
· Assists in maintaining a clean, safe
environment for patients and co-workers. Documents nursing care as per
department policies and standards.
· Keeps Registered Nurse and Physician informed
of admissions, patient problems and changes in patient's condition.
· Assists Registered Nurse and physician during
· Contributes to positive team morale by
assisting co-workers, physicians, and other team members.
· Demonstrates initiative in utilizing learning
resources in ambulatory care. Updates knowledge as necessary.
· Maintains a level of cultural competence.
· Ensures that patients receive timely and
appropriate care within the delivery system and assists with facilitating
internal and external referrals.
· Provides assistance with completion of health
· Performs patient care follow-ups (e.g.,
checking on broken appointments, confirming appointments or tests by
telephone); documents action taken in patient’s chart.
· Coordinates assignments to maintain patient
flow throughout the clinic.
· Communicates with pharmacies as well as
insurance companies related to patient treatment plans and approvals of
medications and/or procedures and DIs.
· Ensures appropriate coverage of all patients by
assisting and relieving co-workers as assigned.
· Maintains a safe, therapeutic environment for
patients, families and significant others, and staff. Is aware of fire safety
and evacuation and disaster plan.
· Serves as a clinical resource for
· Relieves coworkers for meals and breaks.
· Monitors equipment and supplies for clinic
sessions, assuring adequate quantities are available; reports shortages to
Registered Nurse or Site Administrator and Manager.
· Provides and promotes safe and clean
environment for patients (e.g., prepares examining rooms between patient
visits, performs light housekeeping duties during and after each clinic
· Arranges laboratory tests, special clinic
appointments, etc., according to physician orders; confirms appointments with
patients, follow-ups as needed.
· Participates in meetings, committees,
conferences, and educational programs.
· Participates in Performance Improvement and Quality
Assurance activities and demonstrates initiative in identifying and
communicating performance improvement/quality assurance problems and issues.
· Demonstrates responsibility for continuing
professional growth and education, including attendance at staff development
and continuing education programs.
· Conforms to all Nursing Department and Ambulatory
Care policies and procedures.
· Maintains a consistent and flexible pattern of
attendance in accordance with assigned schedule and reports to work on time.
· Conforms to agency guidelines regarding dress
code; is well groomed and neat.
· Maintains good